Monday, October 13, 2014

France 10/13

10/13/2014

Today was good - a short day, which was nice because everyone needed the rest.   We started the morning in Paris and ate the buffet breakfast at the hotel.  It was actually pretty good - after eating breakfast in Italy on our last trip I was worried :)    This was good though and the coffee was good as well - stronger than I normally take it but still drinkable - bonus for Europe!  

After breakfast we headed to the bus and out of Paris.  We went to a town called Rouen - it was very quaint with wood buildings that are built something like I would expect to see in a Dutch area.   Kinda like Helen, GA really - the architectural style, these were just MUCH much older.   This town had a couple of interesting things we saw.

1) Joan of Arc - this was the town she died in.   We saw a church dedicated to her, odd looking building that has alot of symbolism attached to it.  

2) The town has two gigantic gold clocks that have been around for hundreds of years.  You can read more about the here - they were pretty cool, only one still works but still awesome - hundreds of years!

3) There is a church there that is also Notre Dame (my lady) - it was pretty and has a bit of history as Monet used it as subject for several of his paintings.  It is a white church and he used it a study for light and how it plays.  

We then went and had lunch at a French bar and grill.  The waiter was friendly and worked with us on our tight schedule.   I had a veggie and ham pizza - the crust is thinner than what we have in the states, airier, but good and it was big!    Once we finished eating we met back up with the group and headed to the bus.

We went from there to a little village in Normandy called, Beuvron-en-Auge.  It only has 230 people that live there.  It is surrounded by pastor land and was really picturesque.   I loved it - we drank cider made from the field and wondered around.   The cider - reminded me of bear so yuck!  But the town was so quaint - I loved it.

Once we left there we headed to the WWII museum in Caen.   I'm not a big history person, but it was interesting to see WWII from the eyes of the French.  We hear so much history with the American slant, I'm sure the truth is somewhere in the middle.   I made it about 1/2 way through the exhibit and honestly it was sad and I wasn't feeling well so I went out and sat in the cafe.   I ate a chocolate filled croissant and rested while Jack and Mama continued.   I actually enjoyed my time sitting there watching the people and eating my little snack.     

We then headed to the hotel - Hotel Mercure.    Jack went to get me some meds from the neighboring pharmacy while I settled in.   One thing I have learned in France, go to a pharmacy and you get one choice of meds.   Not Sudafed, Tylenol, Etc... - You tell the pharmacist your symptoms, he hands you meds, you leave.  One type of tissue, one type of throat lozenge (and it taste like menthol ass).   That being said I took that pill and within 20 minutes my nose was drying up and I was feeling better so go France.   I may get another box to take home just due to how well it works.

Once I had meds in me and we had rested for a few we went to meet the group for dinner.   Dinner tonight was a simple meal in the hotel - it was actually really good and the company was great.  We set with some people we hadn't really visited with much and the conversation flowed pretty freely - I really enjoyed it actually.   

And now I'm tucked away in my hotel room - just took the nighttime dose of the meds and am about to go to sleep.    My nose may be running away, but I'm enjoying the trip regardless.  Here's to continuing the adventure.

** One thing to add - Jack kept falling asleep on bus and snoring - he may have a bruise from me having to wake him up so much, hee.   Time change is a killer!

Love you blogland - till next time.

No comments:

Maine - Day 9

It rained today; if it was going to rain today was really the best day for it as we needed to travel so I'm grateful.  We've really ...